Tuesday, May 6, 2008

May 6

Dear Family,
I went to the doctor today, had a blood test and learned that the red blood cells and the platelets were doing pretty well, but the white blood cells were down to about half of what they were 2 weeks ago. Part of the job of these cells is to fight infection and there is no transfusion for them. After a long discussion it was decided that chemotherapy was the best choice, however this time it would be just one chemo and be for 7 days. However, before he started, Dr. Wallentine wanted to send in another bone marrow biopsy so he could have the best possible information on what was going on in the bone marrow. He did the biopsy today and asked me to come back next Tuesday when he will have sufficient information on the biopsy to go ahead with the chemo. We are planning for me to have it as an outpatient, but this time I think I will curtail more of my activity and act more like I am in the hospital. I suppose he will start on Tuesday or Wednesday and it will be a 7 day treatment. Not the best news, but the best I could hope for under the circumstances. No treatment would be worse.
Thanks for your love and prayers. I feel all right about everything and am optimistic.
Much love to all,
Mom, Grandma